Healthy Youth Survey
Healthy Youth Survey, Helping Washington’s students thrive and lead healthier, happier lives.
- The survey shows trends over time and helps parents, schools, and communities address issues impacting youth.
- Schools and districts get reports of their results – helping them understand their students’ needs.
- About 200,000 students in grades 6 -12 across the state take the survey every two years.
- Participation is voluntary and anonymous.
- Free for schools in Washington State.
Thank you to schools and students for participating in the 2023 HYS! Survey results are being processed now and results will be posted on AskHYS on March 13th after a statewide press release.
We are now collecting proposals for new and revised questions to include in the 2025 Healthy Youth Survey! If you would like to submit a proposal for a new question to be added to the survey, or you would like to propose a revision to an existing question, please complete this form and submit it no later than April 12, 2024.
If you are interested in submitting a topic for consideration on the 2025 HYS, but you would not like to submit a full proposal for specific questions, you can always submit general suggestions via our general feedback form.
Highlights from the 2021 Healthy Youth Survey
Mental Health and Well-being
- 7 in 10 10th graders reported feeling nervous, anxious, on edge, or not being able to stop or control worrying.
- 15% of 10th graders reported they had no adults to turn to when feeling sad or hopeless
Mental Health and Well-being
- 2 in 10 10th graders reported they seriously considered attempting suicide in the past 12 months.
- 8% of 10th graders reported they attempted suicide in the past 12 months.
About 7 in 10 10th -graders reported feelings of moderate to high hope – meaning they have set meaningful goals or pathways and are motivated to achieve them.
- Compared to 2018, more students reported feeling that using alcohol, marijuana, and tobacco was risky for their health.
- Among 10th grade participants, 8% reported using alcohol within the last 30 days, down from 19% in 2018.
The Healthy Youth Survey
- The Healthy Youth Survey (HYS) is a collaborative effort of the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction, the Department of Health, the Health Care Authority - Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery, and the Liquor and Cannabis Board.
- The Healthy Youth Survey provides important survey results about the health of adolescents in Washington. Schools, school districts, local health jurisdiction, county prevention coordinators, community mobilization coalitions, community public health and safety networks, and others use this information to guide policy and programs that serve youth.
More than 200,000 students participated in the 2021 HYS.
About 900 schools participated in the 2021 HYS.
Students from schools in all 39 counties participated in the 2021 HYS.