HYS Survey Questionnaires
HYS 2023 Survey Questionnaire
There are two surveys, one for elementary students and one for secondary students:
- Elementary Survey (grade 6, also for grade 7 in small districts)
- Secondary Survey (grades, 8, 10, and 12, also for grades 9 and 11 in small districts)
For information about optional questions and question exemptions, see the HYS Exemptions page.
Click here to see if your district is considered small for Hys/ExemptionsHYS: Small School District List
For an overview of the survey content, see the Rationale & DescriptiHys/Exemptionson of Survey Content.
For more details about HYS, see the Question & Answer Fact Sheet or go to the HYS About page.
Survey Questionnaires from Previous Administrations
From 2002 to 2021, there were three survey forms. Forms A and B were for older students in 8th grade through 12th grade and were randomly distributed so half of the students answer Form A and the other half answer Form B. Survey Form C was for younger students in 6th grade (and 7th grade in small school districts).
Survey Content and Development
HYS questionnaires include items about demographics, alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, vaping, and other drug use; health concerns (nutrition and fitness, health conditions and health care, behaviors related to intentional/unintentional injuries, mental health); school climate; hope, and risk and protective factors (community, school, peer and individual, and family).
HYS is available in Spanish, Russian, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese, and is screen reader capable.
The questionnaire items were drawn and revised primarily from four establish surveys used throughout the United States. Each of these surveys has been subjected to scientific research regarding reliability and validity and has been field tested extensively.
- Communities that Care: developed by Social Development Research Group, University of Washington
- Monitoring the Future: developed by Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan
- Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System: developed by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Global Youth Tobacco Survey: developed by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention